In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Thursday, April 13, 2017

Uurrah! WW2 Russians

My Early War Germans have been languishing ever since Patrick sold his French. Doing French or Poles myself had been rattling around in my head ever since. Those French tanks are kinda nifty.

But I've also been thinking about a Soviet army for a long time. When I had the store the plan had been to build one entirely from Plastic Soldier Company sets. Now I don't have the store. But as usual serendipity has played a decisive role in new project planning and some heavily discounted FoW packs were the tipping point. If the guy selling FoW had had French or Poles, I might have gone that direction.

So I'm going to start with focusing on a force for Chain of Command first and build from there to a force big enough for I Ain't Been Shot Mum.

For Chain of Command I need Jump Off Points. I usually like some rear echelon vignettes for JOPs, or even just a truck, but I don't have anything like that for the Russians yet. Given their lack of armour my heroic defenders of the Motherland will be on the defensive in early games blocking the advance on Leningrad or holding out in the Pripet Marshes.

The log defensive works I got at Hotlead gave me the idea of getting some bunkers to deploy from. I've had these for a while and never used them:
I think they are from RAFMs Vietnam range. But I thought they needed more. The openings are just kind of there and are a bit lacking.

So a base to tie things together and adding some bamboo skewer logs to the face to make them look more Russian.
To make the entrance look more dug out I added some green stuff berms of earth on either side and while still sticky, coated with fine sand:

A week later I get a chance to paint and flock, and here are the results:

You'll notice a fourth bunker. That is a resin Flames of War objective marker that Mikey brought back from Fall In. I painted and flocked it at the same time. So I'm probably set to do some Seigfried Line/Reichwald scenarios too.

1 comment: