In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Looking Ahead for 2017

Looking back at last year's New Year's post, I see I certainly went off script.

Didn't get anything done for WW2 or the Samurai. Painted a few units for my SYW Austrians but didn't play with them.
Did get my Colonial figures out a bit to bash around with Sharp Practice a few times.
Black Ops started strong and then fizzled due to the pre-game admin burden. Shame that, I'd like to do more with those rules.
I have pretty much wrapped up the Afghanistan project. Although the expansion to the Canadian figures by Elheim does tempt. I should order some before the Loonie drops versus the Pound.
Lion Rampant and Dragon Rampant have been the big winners this past year. Inspiring a lot of games and a lot of painting and An Unexpected Project. Both are easy to pick up and throw a quick, fun game on the table, which is a big plus in my life right now. I've also really enjoyed revisiting my oldest miniatures among my Medieval armies and finally finding a satisfying outlet for my decades old Tolkien-gaming desires.

So where now?

More Middle Earth is obvious. I'd like to add wolf riders and maybe some scruffy arrow fodder golbins to my orcs. Plus Reaper makes some lovely Trolls (which are conveniently made under licence here in Ontario by RAFM). Some shield wall types and a few archers for the Dwarves would be good too. Another Ent for the Elves would be lovely, but I fear they are unobtainable.

More WW2 too. I still have that last platoon of Fallschirmjaeger and a few other bits to finish things up. But even just some solo games of Chain of Command would be good. Maybe that will get the painting juices going for doing more WW2.

Mostly just play more. Start setting up solo games on a Sunday afternoon if I have to. Now that I've got the second table and a permanent painting area sorted, leaving a solo game set up won't be an issue. Although it looks like I managed over 20 games last year, which is better than I expected. 3 OP Thundering Dice gaming weekends with the Mad Padre helped, accounting for 8 or 9 of those.

But there's nothing like playing some games to get you inspired to paint some figures. So we'll see where inspiration takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment