In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Miniature Therapy

The Black Dog had been humping my leg all week, so the Mad Padre prescribed some miniature silliness and came over last night with his long neglected Lord of the Rings armies and some baklava from the Kitchener Farmer's Market.

Mike has some Uruk-hai from Isengard and Riders of Rohan, from when his kids were keen on playing. Due to youthful impatience and enthusiasm the armies were rushed to the table with minimum paint and he's been slowly finishing up a few figures at time over the past year.

We threw some trees on the table, the Padre and I took the Rohirrim (adding my one and only official LOTR figure to the Riders) and Patrick and Wierdy-Beardy took the forces of a Morally Alternative Lifestyle.

Our Doom approaches.
Eowyn tries to get a new hanging for the Great Hall. She would have succeeded too if somebody hadn't forgotten the 'Charge' rule!
Gah! It's getting closer!
Riders make a cinematic charge across the screen to Theoden's aid
Crappy picture towards the end of the big, complicated, multi-turn dust up in the middle that all GW games seem to result in 
Gamling goes for the Troll
My one LOTR figure (rider on the white horse) posing with some of Mike's rather nicely finished figures
'Twas a silly game. I was really disappointed in the ability of the cavalry and then Mike realized he'd forgotten the 'charge' rule. After that the Orcs started dropping with appropriate frequency, but by then it was too late to get Aragorn and his big shiny sword into combat with the Troll who had ground Gamling and the militia into Spam.

I had never tried LOTR before but wasn't terribly surprised. It is a GW game after all and there's a horrendous amount of dice rolling to remove a figure or two. Plus an awful lot of rules for what boils down to a high roll wins sort of combat system. I was always drawn to the LOTR minis and almost bought more than the single rider many times, but always held back thinking "they're expensive, the rules probably blow and what would I do with them?"

But my "Green Knight" did finally hit the table and charged about quite a bit. Plus the baklava was very good.

3 comments:

  1. Funnily enough I too have a collection of LOTR minis from back when my son was keen on having a go at it. I agree the minis are nice. They've seen a lot of action in various RPG campaigns

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an agreeably silly evening, and thus met the Commander's Intent.
    I think you were wise not to buy the LOTR figures. We'll try the War of the Ring rules sometime and see if they are any less sucky. Otherwise Thomas the Swedey Lardy has an adaptation of Dux Bellorum he's working on.

    ReplyDelete