In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Friday, October 21, 2011

A shiny new technical upgrade

Some other excitement from last weekend that I didn't include because it was somewhat tangential to the previous post.

After the Sergeant-Major dismissed us early on Saturday, while my companions napped or put some more polish on their boots, I went shopping at the Canex.

The Canex is the Canadian Forces version of the American PX ('Post Exchange'), a department store trying to cater to the needs of the military community on the base. In the aisle of cadpat accessories for the soldier on the go (wallet, smart phone pouch, laptop bag etc) I found a few necessaries that one cannot find at a normal store like a refill for my Field Message Pad and waterproofing paste for my combat boots. But nearby they also have a large and impressive display of shiny new electronic goods.

So I got myself this:

12 Meg pictures, 10x optical zoom, rechargeable lithium battery. For only $89.99! Of course I still need to play with it, I only got the memory card (16 GB) for it today.

But at least now I don't have to borrow a camera from a friend or wait until offspring come home to take pictures.

4 comments:

  1. Should be able to get some great pics with that fine piece of kit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If this is your first digital camera the most important thing to keep in mind is that it doesn't cost anything to take extra photos . . . but you should then delete all but the ones you want to keep.

    Have fun with it . . . and a small tripod is a good idea if you are going to take many macro (i.e., close-up) photos of your miniatures.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, it's not like the old 35mm film days when you'd blow off an expensive roll of film for one decent shot.

    It is _MY_ first. Other pictures on the blog have been taken by me with cameras owned by offspring or friends.

    I have two tripods actually. A full size one (my dad's old tripod) and a small one I use for shooting during games.

    ReplyDelete