In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

In which I blog about my miniature wargaming and whatever else takes my interest!

Friday, April 1, 2011

Antique Roadshow

A friend who isn't busy enough teaches part-time at a local university. A history professor retired and cleaned out his office giving my friend a pile of artifacts. My friend thinks to himself "I don't really need two swords. I'll give one to James!"

So here it is:

I suppose I should have included a tape measure. It has a 34.5" blade. Overall length is 41".

Plain, stamped metal. Worn leather grip.


The only markings are the 'D' on the scabbard and the number '146' stamped on the guard.

I'm guessing a heavy cavalry troopers weapon. An attendee at Hotlead did the 'Antiques Roadshow' bit and surmised it was late 19th early/20th century issue. Probably made surplus when the Canadian and British armies got rid of their horsed cavalry in the 1920s.

The temptation to wave it about is quite strong. But I don't want to break any light fixtures!

4 comments:

  1. or have anyone asking why there are holes poked in the roof...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fellow on The Miniatures Page figures with the curved blade and large hilt it's more likely 1850s or 60s vintage British heavy cavalry issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guard looks more French to me. What about your Sword of Honour from Hotlead?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is in a place of honour on top of my history bookcase, along with this new arrival.

    ReplyDelete